Wednesday, February 6, 2008

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

From Blog Photos


Today was my final day at Old Dominion University. After almost 18 years, I am leaving the place that allowed me to earn two degrees and employed me full-time for over 13 years.

This was not an easy day as I am leaving so many friends and colleagues behind as I head west. As I spent the last several weeks letting friends know about my departure and future, handing off responsibilities, packing up my office, planning my drive west, figuring out what I will be taking with me, and everything else, I kept remembering the final M*A*S*H episode as B.J. Honeycutt and “Hawkeye” Pierce never quite said goodbye to each other due to everything going on around them. I feel like that, wondering who I did not talk to or express my appreciation to enough. So I am left leaving a message like BJ did, a message that Hawkeye saw as he left the 4077th in a helicopter.

So I shall quote famous lines of appreciation of everything you guys have done for me:
  • The dolphins from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: So long, and thanks for all the fish
  • Q's last words to Picard: It was nice knowing you, Jean-Luc, but all good things must come to an end
  • BJ (To Hawkeye as they leave): I'll see you in the states, I promise! But just in case I left a note! (B.J. rides off on his motorcycle. Hawkeye lifts off in a chopper. And sees some rocks arranged in the word "Goodbye.")

No comments:

Post a Comment