Saturday, February 9, 2008

Leaving is the hardest part

From Blog Photos

They say leaving is the hardest part. It is definitely was today. The girls were picked up by my mother to visit my sister in NC. That made things a little easier, partly because of all of the activity going on with both them and I leaving at relatively the same time. It was very tough watching them leave knowing that it will probably be four months before we are together again. Then it was my turn to leave. Dawn was very strong as I left. This has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. However, the thought that this is about what is to come is what comforts both Dawn & I. Of course the fact that my parents will still be over 2000 miles away will remain hard.

I have to make it clear that I am excited about starting my new job at ASU and Dawn beginning the program at SCNM. I just wish we could have timed things better. But this is the right thing do, at the right time - we both feel that way. However, the reunion will be very sweet.

The drive today was pleasant. The temperatures were in the mid to lower 50s all day. Skies began clear and then started to cloud up after I passed Charlottesville, VA. Around Lexington, VA the winds became stiff and were a little rough from time to time. It was a nice drive and everything went as planned.

When I arrived at the hotel in Barboursville, WV, I was told that my reservation had been cancelled. Still not sure who or what did it, but needless to say I was surprised. The good news is that they had plenty of room and I am comfortably seating in my hotel room. Barboursville is about 20 miles from the WV/KY border and is near Marshall University (as in “We are Marshall”).

I want to thank Mike & Sharon for the can of snacks, Cindy for the jerky, and Mom for the dark chocolate - having those items (as well as several bottle of waters) lowered the number of stops.

Trip Facts
Started: Virginia Beach, VA
Finished: Barboursville, WV
Miles Driven: 457
Tolls: $2.50
Drive Time: 9:00am to 4:30pm (7.5 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment