Sunday, April 5, 2009

Furlough Fridays 2 & 3



Once again, it has been too long since we have posted anything to the blog. This is partly because we have been pretty busy and I was trying to get the old site moved over to here. This posting will focus on what I have been doing on my furlough days. Since most people in my office tend to take furlough days on Fridays, we call these unpaid vacations "Furlough Friday"

The second Furlough Friday was during Dawn's spring break, so we spent the day hiking up Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. It is an amazing hike that is pretty tough. From the top of the mountain you can see pretty much the entire valley from Scottsdale to the east and Glendale to the west. Dawn did a great job hiking up the mountain and we had a nice little lunch at the top while taking in this great view.

The third Furlough Friday I spent on a long solo bike ride. The idea was to do a lap around the iconic South Mountain that dominates southern Phoenix. When you watch an NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, or PGA event and they have a scenic view of Phoenix, it is more than likely a picture from South Mountain. I have been working to get my old road bike running again, and this was the first trip for the bike. The route took me south and then out into the Gila River Indian Community, it was amazing to go from city to desert so quickly. Eventualy I came around the mountain into west Phoenix and then on the way back home decided to take a recommended detour and bike the 8.5 miles up the mountain to the TV towers that can be seen from almost the entire valley. It was a strenuous ride up, but the view was worth it and the ride down was exhilarating. At the end of the day, I biked over 75 miles.

Below are some pictures from these two days:
Camelback Mountain


Lap Around South Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment