Friday, June 19, 2009

Catching up on furloughs and art...



Opps, time slipped away again as we have been playing without the girls...

This June has been very mild with many days under 100 degrees, so we have taken advantage of the situation by getting out of the house whenever possible. We still eat most dinners outside, but we really enjoy getting up on a furlough Friday and going hiking on South Mountain. We wear able to beat the morning rush hour, hit the trail, and be back in time for lunch.

The first Friday of the month, the art district in Phoenix hosts an Art Walk. We finally decided that it was time to go to it. We started the evening by riding the light rail to downtown. While there, we found some great sculptures before heading off to dinner at Cooper's Town, as in Alice Cooper. I tried to take a picture of the historic Phoenix City Hall (a beautiful building), but a uniformed US Department of Homeland Security agent walked up and asked me to leave since it was illegal to take pictures of the building for security reasons. Despite that incident, we headed over to the Art Walk. The Art Walk was amazing an we are looking forward to bringing the girl to it when they get back. It is such a eclectic collection of sights and sounds. Some of these artists are amazing and are very expressive.

Then I was off to a conference in Baltimore for work where I was able to catch up with an old friend before the conference got started. Yes, I did have some crab cakes while I was there. When it was time to head home, a thunderstorm ripped through the area before I left and delayed my five hour flight by four and a half hours. I did not get home until 1am. I worked through the shortened week, but was too tired to do much of anything on Furlough Friday.

Today for Furlough Friday we did some urban hiking. In other words we walked through Arizona Mills Mall, IKEA, and Chandler Fashion Square Mall.

I have one more Furlough Friday (the 12th and final furlough day, I hope) next week, no plans yet; however, I bet we will think of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment